Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: 12.5-Degree Crossing
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:02 am 

Has anyone built an HO crossing with an angle less than 19degrees?

I read and watched Tim's method of building crossings by cutting out the web of one rail and the base of another rail (creating notches in the two rails) and then laying the rails across each other at the angle of the crossing and then soldering them together. The slot for the wheel flanges was then cut out using a moto-tool cutting disk.

That method looks like it works well for crossings of 90 degrees down to approximately 30 degrees. But the method appears to not allow longer, small-angle frogs to be cut into overlapping rail in the small angle range of 30 degrees and below. I do not see how a long, pointed frog like 19 degree or 14 degree could be built using this method.

I'd welcome anyone's thoughts on how to build small-angle crossings.

Post subject: Re: 12.5-Degree Crossing
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:43 am 

Piece by filed piece. Note - any angle LESS than 9.5 degrees (like a number 6 turnout frog) will require moving point center oblique frogs. This is similar to the same issue for the number 8 double slip turnouts.

For tight narrow crossings, it will be best to keep the track gauge at dead on minimum (HO: 0.649") and have the frog flangeways on all sides to be close to 0.042" (HO).

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]