[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Cast frogs.

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cast frogs.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:19 am 

The folks over at Proto87 have been branching out from HO scale to N scale, and thus have my interest. Many of their products are low interest to me, I mean I think tie plates look awesome but I'd go crazy trying to do more than a diorama with them in N scale. However one product is very interesting to me, their cast frogs.

But I don't use their line, because while I could probably make a turnout without a FastTracks template it would like me 4 times as long and be 10 times as frustrating.

I keep coming back to that frog though. I really like the look of the "bulging" frog, when I think of prototype switches that's the look that pops into my head. Also, because the frog is one piece it would be faster to make a switch (no forming frog points, and the point rails become much simpler straight pieces), and no more cutting isolation gaps! No more messing with a jewelers saw!

I imagine FastTracks making a one-piece frog that can be purchased, and redesigning the jig so it fits into a slot in the jig for soldering. Points and the rails leaving the frog would simply be shorter, and installed with a small gap between them and the cast frog.

I feel like this would speed up building FastTracks turnouts about 50% for me, while at the same time producing a better looking (and maybe even better operating) turnout.

I dunno if our hosts have ever considered it, but if you haven't please do, and if you decide to try it, I'm willing to be a beta tester.

Post subject: Re: Cast frogs.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

We have spent some time on this, and are hoping to have a product like this in the future. What has been holding back proceeding with this project is a lack of space in our current facilities. The last couple months we have been able to negotiate space in an additional building nearby and that should allow us the space to expand into more projects, and this one is high on our list!

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

Post subject: Re: Cast frogs.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:58 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]