Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: PlioBond ???
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:36 pm 

Greetings, Crew.

I'm building N Scale turnouts using PlioBond on QuickSticks Ties. I've noticed that I frequently have to re-glue some ties after I remove the excess wood and do other work with the completed turnout. I've tried using the soldering iron to heat-cure the pliobond, but doesn't seem to make a difference. Does anyone have any suggestions to improve my results?

Additional info: I wash the turnouts to remove solder paste and anything else. I've also tried "roughing up" the bottom of the rails to give the pliobond something to grab.

-Jack

Post subject: Re: PlioBond ???
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:58 pm 

Jack.
Are you thinning the pliobond? Maybe thinned too much? I use mine straight from the tube. Spread on the rail then touched to the ties and removed. After about 10 to 15 seconds I re attach it and it holds like a vice.
Pete

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:11 pm 

No, Pete, not thinning. But that brings up the thought that perhaps I'm not shaking the tube enough. If the contents are separating, then the "thin" stuff would be on top and I'm probably not getting enough of the actual adhesive. I'll give it an extra minute of shaking next time.

- Jack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:31 pm 

I don't shake my pliobond tubes, i chuck them up in my drill by the cap good and tight and spin the heck out of them, works great.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:51 pm 

I think it might be the failure-to-shake problem. I, too, have had many glued ties give way. But shaking a squeeze tube is highly ineffective. I like the drill idea from cg51, but it sounds a bit risky. I also tried squeezing the tube to move the contents back and forth. It mixes the glue well enough, but the tube developed cracks and holes before long, ruining it. I have switched to using good old 2-part epoxy. Nothing will hold better, but it takes a fair bit of practice and a steady hand to apply a very tiny bead in the right place with a toothpick. I also tried other types of glue, like WeldBond, which is supposed to be good for metal-to-wood. No such luck. Epoxy will be my preferred solution from now on.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:24 pm 

Questions.

How many medium N scale turnouts would one tube of Pliobond build?

Is there a smaller tube available?

Can it be found at local stores? I have not seen the same tube in my area (Riversie Ca.), but I could be missing it.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:30 am 

FYI: A Pliobond replacement in Europe is Bisonkit

Everybody can shovel, firing is an art

Firing this train was more fun then hard labor :-) © R. de Water

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]