Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wiring a frog
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:11 am 

Maybe this topic has all ready been addressed somewhere; if so, I can't find it! I basically know how to wire a turnout for DCC with a completely isolated frog, but I'm wondering how Tim et al. wire their frogs prior to installation of the turnout. This would apply to usage of a Juicer or any other routing method. Do you wire the frog itself or just to any portion of the PC ties inside the gaps? If you wire the frog itself, it would seem to me that you are in danger of weakening the solder-fixed frog joint. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bob

Post subject: Re: Wiring a frog
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:45 am 

Take a look at the following page.

http://www.handlaidtrack.com/Universal- ... fj001u.htm

Just below where it lists the price, there is a tab titled videos. Have a look there and see if that helps.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:54 pm 

JDM - thanks, that was partially helpful. It certainly explained fully the function of the Frog Juicer. However, in the video someone references the leads from the frogs; I'm talking about the actual physical/soldered connection of the leads [wires] to the frogs themselves. Where and how is that done with minimal heat damage to the frog itself when soldering? Thanks for your continued help. Bob

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:43 am 

What you could do is to clamp your turnout to the assembly jig using a plastic F-clamp or similar, so that the top of the rails is in contact with the under side of the jig. This would then act as a heatsink. I bought a 12V soldering iron over 20 years ago that is only about 7 watts. It's enough to melt 60/40 solder, but that's about it. I place the iron on the wire I am going to solder, that way less heat is transferred to the rail. And do the soldering mid point between any other solder work.

For a bit of overkill, you could always glue a few wood ties on top of the rails where you are soldering, just to add some more strength to the frog.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:17 pm 

Thanks, I think you are right; some sort of heat sink is the way to go. I'll report back after I have tried this a time or two. BAob

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]