Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:37 am 

Hi guys,

I would like to order HO turnout jig , but I want to have possibility to make both code 100 and code 83 turnouts on it. Is it possible and which jig should I choose?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:08 pm 

The FastTracks fixtures use the rail base to set the geometry and specifications. Code 100 and code 83 have a huge difference in the rail bases. Also different suppliers of code 100 have differing rail profiles and subsequent bases. A fixture can be used for mixing code 83 and code 70 when using Micro Engineering rail since their bases are nearly identical (in fact the code 83 rail base is slightly smaller than the code 70 rail base).

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:49 am 

Thanky, and still, is there possibility to use code 83 and code 100 (from certain suppliers) rails on the same jig and which one would be better ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:35 am 

Hello Alex1888,

You will find a handy Rail Cross Reference chart in our FAQ section here: http://www.handlaidtrack.com/kb_results.asp?ID=124

There is another chart of Popular Rail Dimensions that you will find here: http://www.handlaidtrack.com/kb_results.asp?ID=122

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:14 am 

From Tim's supplied data references - yes to the question. Order the ME code 100 fixture, use ME code 100 for turnouts. Use Atlas code 83 rail for the code 83 turnouts. You'll have to 'strip' the atlas code 83 flex track to get the code 83 rail for the turnouts construction and use Atlas code 83 track for simplicity in that part of your code 83 trackwork. However, there are simple techniques for joining mismatched rail profiles that entail filing connection shelf, soldering, and filing the completed joints. Thus you 'could' use the finer profiles and better appearance of other code 83 track as well.

To make the construction of the turnouts in the fixture truly dead on, while constructing in the fixture, add the use of 2-point roller style track gauges in setting the rails in the fixture. (This is always a good practice for any construction with any set of rails and fixtures).

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:22 am 

Thank you very much guys, for reply !

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]