Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Solid frogs?
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:57 pm 

Not sure if anyone has asked about this, but has anyone tried to fill the wing rails and frog point to make it appear like an actual frog casting? (and no, I'm not talking about using a frog casting :) - when I used to handlay my own, I would fill the entire frog with solder and cut flangeways with a section of hacksaw blade. Of course, if you did this on a Fast Tracks turnout, you risk unsoldering the frog from the PC board ties in the process.

I was thinking about perhaps using plain white glue, carefully dripped in between the rails until it came about 1/3" the height of the rail then let it dry. Applying paint would neatly cover it up. Of course, I'm assuming the viscosity of the glue would prevent it from leaking out the bottom and ends (and even if it did it could be easily removed).

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Regards,

Paul R. Tupaczewski

Post subject: Re: Solid frogs?
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:28 am 

If you used low heat and only placed the tip of your soldering iron on the top of the rail, you should be OK. Remember, you would need to unsolder ALL parts of the wing rail and/or frog for it to completely dislodge the wing rail and/or frog. If you accidentally unsoldered one tie, I doubt it would move. Having said that, it may pay to use more PC ties than wood ties in the area you wish to build up with solder. Just to add more stability and to play it safe.

NB: I haven't tried this.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]