[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Sharp Points

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sharp Points
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm 

Evening all...

I've built about 12 or 13 turnouts, some stub; some point, but I'm inconsistent on a pointy frog. Some times I make one (a few) perfect and other times I end up tossing them. Across all the "test wheels" run smooth, but sometimes it just doesn't look right.

I even resorted to building the frog points last and in place just to make sure I get a good alignment and at the right spot to avoid a bump or a dip. It did work, but was tedious. Any suggestions?

Maybe I'm too picky. The FastTracks system works very, very well and I'm quite happy with the investment, just want a sharper frog point.

Thanks
Gordon Patton

Post subject: Re: Sharp Points
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:58 pm 

Gordon,

Any chance for a picture showing what you "point" is :wink:

Everybody can shovel, firing is an art

Firing this train was more fun then hard labor :-) © R. de Water

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:22 am 

First off, a slight bump thru the frog is completely normal.

Watch this video starting at 3:10. Tim explains this very clearly:

http://www.handlaidtrack.com/videos-a/144.htm?video=boUNeUukmZE&title=Installing%20The%20Frogpoints

Secondly, and this is just my personal experience thus far (and note i'm using the HO fixtures) I have found a couple things.

Get yourself one of those head band magnifier like this Image I have found this helps a lot getting the rail properly aligned on the point/frog form tool in preperation for filing. Note I also use the frog helper tool) Then I use the magnifier when lining up the two halves dead on equal in the frog helper.

Also, it is very important you solder the wing rails very carefully and dont let the solder wick underneath and onto the opposite side where the frog point is going to go. (I've done it) The frog rail will sit on top of the solder and not sit flat on the PC ties. I also am careful to file the frog point flat on the bottom of the rail (Only file enough to knock off any solder, not the rail!) after I solder the frog halves together.

Personally, I have found the most critical thing is to get the wing rails right ESPECIALLY the bend (where they will align with the frog) I spend a lot of time forming the wing rail so it drops in the fixture nearly flawlessly on it's own..NO FORCING! I have also invested in the rail bender tool and this makes the job of forming the diverging route of the wing rails much more consistent and keeps the rail true thru the radius. (This is just me, I never could get a consistent radius by bending it by hand)

Hope it helps.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:42 am 

Thanks, yes it helps.

I have/do pretty much all you mention except I do not have the rail roller (but I need to acquire one not only for the reasons you mentioned, but for mainline work).

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:00 am 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:36 am 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]