Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Crossovers
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:45 am 

hope someone can help me..
i'm looking at a #6 crossover n scale and have decided to forego buying the kit as itz too expensive to just build 2 sets so i decided to try hand building them, and upon looking at the kit wondered how they build the angle of the frog as i already have the frog helper small (#4 - #5 - #6)
and tried that and used the template as a guide but the angles are not right...
also in the kit (picture) it shows the crossover kit having 2 jigs, so if that is correct how do u connect the 2 together as the jig shows no space for rail joiners, to join them together, let alone a jig to make the frog..
any help would be appreciated..

Post subject: Re: Crossovers
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:31 pm 

Have a look in this link, there are video tutorials and documants you can print.

http://www.handlaidtrack.com/document-library-a/135.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:24 am 

thanx m8, i have viewed the video's and unfortunately none of them detail any contruction of the crossovers, and some of the audioo u can barely hear neway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:14 pm 

I may be wrong but a simple crossover between two parallel tracks is the same as facing two identical switches with spacing between the turnout ends for track spacing.

The frogs in the crossover would be the same as frogs in the size switch you are using.

SP was king of the road, Cotten Belt will run forever! D&RGW will rule the hills!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:55 pm 

Kurt: that isn't quite right. Every frog angle that appears in a switch also appears in a crossover, but there are additional frogs on the crossover. If you have a look at the crossover building document (UG07), on page 4, take note of the frog that is formed by rails 1 and 2. The angle of this frog does not appear on a conventional switch. It is the reason that the crossover wants a separate pointform tool.

Personally I find the assembly of this frog to be difficult. I don't find the frog helpers useful given that I can use the actual turnout jig. But for this frog, and for the unusual frogs in the double slip switch, I would find a frog helper to be a significant help. Unfortunately they don't seem to make a frog helper for that...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:47 pm 

You've been talking about a double crossover! Now your issues makes sense. The oblique frog is a bit nasty to construct. You need to get everything aligned and use a good gauge - set some clamps - test and verify - then do the soldering. It helps to make the frog flangeway a bit tighter than normal (reduce by 6 - 8 thousandths). Check with a gauge for proper track check gauge before soldering.

Yea - a frog helper may be helpful here.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]