Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:11 pm 

Hello fellow modellers,

I've searched this topic and found some references but (to my limited knowledge) no clear answer.

Using Fast Tracks tools I've build several #4.5 and #6 turnouts in HO based on ME code 70 rail. For the most part my trackwork is nearly complete and I am VERY pleased with the results.

Now I am in the process of bringing all rolling stock up to spec (weight, wheels, couplers) and note that some newer pieces were provided by the manufacturer with code 88 wheels. The majority of my rolling stock uses code 110 wheels.

My question for the assembly of experts is: will the code 88 wheels give me heartache in the future? Are the standard Fast Tracks turnout jigs for #4.5 and #6 compatible with code 88 wheels?

I've test run the cars with code 88 wheels over the turnouts and observed no issues. But you know how it goes, troubles with track & wheels only arise when you are not watching, and usually when you are focused on another task. :?

Thanks in advance for your replies. Happy holidays.
Dwayne A

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:18 am 

This has been covered a couple of times before. Hopefully the following links to other threads will give you the answers you require.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1132

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1094

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1058

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1010

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=853

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=146

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:02 pm 

Good day and thank you for the reply,

The links you provided were most of the info I had already found by searching this forum.

Let me see if i can summarise...

Are the turnouts compatible? Yes. Some wheel drop may occur. (I assume wheel drop is vertical movement of the wheel when it passes from the closure rail to the frog.) Although wheel drop may occur it should not affect operation of an entire car.

Further I surmise that if I intended to use code 88 wheels I should have constructed the turnouts differently.

Finally, if I note unreliable operation of the cars with code 88 wheels I will simply replace the wheels.

Thanks again.
Dwayne A

PS. The referenced links are difficult to read if one is not a mechanical engineer. I suggest a SIMPLE sticky or FAQ be created to address the questions of wheel width.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]