Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:31 am 

Hi Everyone: I need some guidance on how to mount my bullfrog turnout controls correctly beneath my fast-track turnouts. I model in HO and I have 1/2 inch of homosote over 1/2 inch of plywood. The normal method is to located the turnout, mark its location, drill a small hole through the throw bar and through the roadbed, then remove the switch and drill out say a 1/4 inch hole and locate the bullfrog from there.

I was wondering: Is there some other method available where one does not need to remove the turnout, but instead can drill a pilot hole from the top then drill the 1/4 inch hole from below without damaging the points?

Any thoughts and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Merry Christmas everyone. Bill H.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:31 pm 

whuebner,

Yes. You can drill from below using a bit with a stop that JUST clears the bottom of the ties. Drill your throw bar hole with a long bit that goes through roadbed and sub-roadbed and serves as the pilot hole for the 1/4" bit with stop. Test the collar stop carefully in an inconspicuous location and measure carefully the tip comes through the roadbed but not into the actual tie bar.

Always check the collar stop and distance carefully - slight changes in roadbed can affect the length required. Make sure the collar stop on the 1/4" bit is tight and secure.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:00 am 

Greetings,

I am using the twist ties so I have come at this problem from the other direction. I too use the 1/2" ply and homosote. I use a dremel with a cutting bit.

I use a regular twist drill of the same size to drill the basic hole between the glued down ties. Then I place this cutter bit in the hole and move it left/ right to make a slot for the wire instead of a round hole.

You could combine these two ideas if you are making your turnouts in fixtures. Drill your pilot hole as you first stated and then as Ed suggested use a stop to make sure you do not damage the throw bar. A regular drill bit has a point but this cutter bit is flat. You will then have a little slot instead of a hole. With the slot cross ties on either side of the slot are fully supported on the subroadbed. I have also seen holes large enough that the ballast from the next set of ties falls into the hole as does the glue making a mess on the switch machine.

Christopher

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]