Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:32 pm 

Evening,

Anyone else have this problem? Rails lay just fine in the mold, but when I insert the PC ties, some of the ties "reach" the rail, others push the rail slightly up out of the mold. I get the turnout done eventually, but it takes some extra pushing in places.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:02 am 

As the fixture is CNC machined, it is highly unlikely that the fixture is the problem. If the ties are cut too long, they won't sit in the fixture properly and could cause the issue you raised. Assuming you have cut them correctly, then the issue of the ties being bowed could have occured any time from being manufactured, the way the were handled/transported or even the way you store them at home.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:55 am 

The ties are not bowed, a few do not lie even with the rail bottom; they are slightly elevated. And yes, I cut them properly. With certain ties inserted, I get a see-saw effect on the rail, perhaps is a better way to say it--the rail is not lying flat in the groove.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

This seems an odd issue. Is the surface of the tie flat? Sometimes when cut with rail cutters or pliers, there can be a noticeable burr on the surface of the tie. I have a habit of running a file across the top of the tie to ensure they are completely flat.

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:29 pm 

I run a file over both sides and the ends to remove burrs. The ties are not sitting at an angle or not completely in the groove; they are trimmed for proper length and laid in the groove flat, a couple just sit a hair higher than the others causing the see-saw effect. The rail isn't sitting completely flat.

I guess I'll just deal with it and flatten the turnout when I install it.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:12 pm 

Even though each assembly fixture is subjected to a quality assurance check before it is packed and shipped there have been rare occasions when minor flaws escape our inspection. Check the PC board tie slots to make sure there aren't any burrs that are causing the ties to ride high. Burrs can be easily removed with a dental pick or similar tool.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:04 pm 

I would also check the width of the PC ties. Some are a little ragged on the edges enough to make a tight fit in the slot which will cause it to not seat properly. I file the edges on all the PC ties and none have given me any problems.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]