Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:04 am 

I'm considering an HO slipswitch assembly fixture for use in a yard.
Reading various commentary it seems some are easier to build then others. However I cant make much sense out of it.
The comments on the order pages indicate #4 and #5 are harder to build, and I am presuming this is due to hinged joints and movable frogs.
But other comments say "larger then #6" are hard to build. What is larger ? A larger number ? or a larger turnout angle ?
I printed out the drawings for #6 and #8 ... #6 looks fairly straight forward, but #8 looks very complicated with 4 separate throw-bars (#6 has 2 throw-bars). This seems to contradict the comments I've read.

Considering I'm a fairly "junior" at switch building (have built about 20 to date) - I think I'm ready to build the simplest of the slipswitches but not the complicated ones. What would you suggest ? This is going to be in a fairly small HO yard with the goal of maximizing the available length of straight track compared to using stacked single switches. So I think the smallest #'d (physically smallest) slipswitch is preferable.

Suggestions welcome !
Thank you
-David

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:49 am 

David,

The number 7 and up (numbers larger - angle is smaller) do require the center moving points for reliability. Some say that 6 should have it and 5 and below will be fixed and simpler. Problems are that the lower numbers (4,5,6) are restrictive of the equipment that can negotiate through them - larger wheel bases (most steam and the 3 axle trucks of diesels) need a larger number (smaller angle).

The fixed center crossings (lower numbered slips) are easier to build. At our club the number 5 handles most all equipment. The number 6 is considered a 'standard size' - but does require very careful construction to avoid having to install the moving points. FastTracks does not use the moving points on number 6 and below - but rightly does expect them on the number 7 and above.

Another issue to consider is the points movements. Depending on your rail size, moving all 4 points at one end can become a very stiff mechanical set up. You really should consider the extra effort to build with hinged points (which is more complicated).

There can be more issues - you should only use a double slip if your space absolutely requires it. I've built 14 double slips of all sizes, and they are not for the faint of heart. Often, just a little extra space and building two regular turnouts with close facing points is a better option.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]