Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Three-way or Wye ?
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:30 am 

My next large piece of my railway is working on a yard. Its not that big (about 6 feet x 3 feet ) - HO scale.
I was looking at either a Wye or a 3-way. Looking at the 3-way they look like they might also be able to be (ab)used to make a Wye.
Is that true? If I have a 3-way fixture can I use to to also make Wyes ?

Also how hard is the 3-way to build ? I cant tell from the looks if it takes making a hinged turnout or not ... I'm still pretty novice, (built about 10 switches so far including curved) but not sure i'm up to a hinge yet ...

Suggestions welcome !

Post subject: Re: Three-way or Wye ?
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:04 pm 

Doing the two outside legs of a 3-way would make a good wye. Issue is that the frog placement would be strange and actually rather sharp. 3-way is a very compact arrangement and suitable for yards - but yes, I think building a hinged point would be necessary (though not absolutely mandatory if you do a longer three way; but that defeats the purposes).

A true wye would be better than manipulating a 3-way. With 10 turnouts under belt - it may be time to try a true handlaid exercise!

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]