Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: OO Gauge and Fast Tracks
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:01 am 

Hi all

Does anyone know if there are any problems running British OO stock over turnouts built with a Fast Track fixture?

Just wondering before I invest in a fixture kit.

Thanks

Ian

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:01 pm 

Ian,

British OO is MOROP NEM standards. For trackwork, the track check gauge is slightly different (OO being shorter by ~0.010"), and NEM flanges are about 0.002" wider - so flangeway clearance is critical. There is OO-Fine scale (slightly finer than RP-25 wheels) in the UK that is very nice and compatible with US track, but that is not the off-the-shelf components.

At most you may (repeat may) need to adjust wheel gauge on equipment. If you chose tight radius and small numbered turnouts, then the problems become more severe.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:53 pm 

Hi Ed

Thanks for getting back. What are you calling small number? I was thinking along the lines of a #6 turnout for starters. What are your thoughts?

I take it that you are referring to the 'back-to-back' when you refer to 'gauge'. Is this correct? I do not mind fiddling with the gauge of stock so long as I have a standard to work to. I fancy having reliable and good looking turnouts and was hoping that this was the route to take. I was even considering using other fixtures for other sections of track work (straight and curved).

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. :?

Ian

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:19 pm 

Ian,

Wheel check gauge is the distance from the face of the flange on one side and the back of the wheel on the other side. It is the common measurement rather than back-to-back since the flanges and profiles can be different between manufacturers and even lot runs of a manufacturer.

The track check gauge is the guard rail (check rail) to the frog point rails (V rail). This to is the interface that matches the wheel check gauge. Track check gauge must be the same or slightly larger than the wheel check gauge.

In NMRA terms wheel check gauge is the 'K' and the track check gauge is the 'C'. 'Cmin' must be >= 'Kmax'. MOROP has the same relationships - but the NEM check gauge is slightly smaller and tighter in range than the NMRA. FastTracks turnout fixtures are set to a nominal mid-range of NMRA specifications (except the flangeway is at or very near the maximum). This is actually a very good specification - especially for use of UK OO scale equipment.

Yes a number 6 turnout (and minimum radius of 24" for running track) is a good and conservative layout specification. Many in the UK actually use #4 and #5 turnouts and radius at 18" or even less, that can certainly create problems when mixing US NMRA and UK MOROP specifications.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:01 am 

Ed

Thank you, very much, for you assistance. I will place an order next week. :)

Ian

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]