Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:07 am 

On this page of Tims blog, it mentions how to modify the ties so the throwbars can be spiked. It mentions removing the copper and ( for HO scale ) drilling two holes 0.465″ apart. Not all of us would be able to accurately drill one tie, let alone however many one may need for their entire layout. It is for this reason that I ask fast tracks to manufacture these drilled and stripped ties in at least HO scale. I would be more than happy to make an order for 100 of these, if that was the final packaging size.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:18 am 

I now have a better idea. How about making an assembly fixture that will accommodate the ties for all scales, standard and narrow guage. The jig would have the two holes drilled right through the fixture and the tie pockets would need to be made so the ties were flush with the top of the fixture. You then simply insert the tie into the jig, turn it over and drill the holes using the holes in the jig as a guide. Sounds simple to make and could probably be made with some of the scrap pieces you sell on the site.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:00 pm 

So nearly two years later there is still no response. I take it Fast Tracks won't be making any such jig any time soon, if ever. However I have a new question. Would the 0.465" vary depending on what size rail you used? I'm not sure what Tim is using, but I will assume he is using code 83 rail. As I am using code 70 rail, does that mean the holes for my HO turnouts will have to be a bit wider than 0.465"? And what would the measurements be for code 70 rail on an HOn30 turnout?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:34 am 

Hello jdm_com_au

Tim recently made a custom template, as you have described, for another customer but it has not been added to our product line due to its cost and and the potential requests for variations such as different spacing for different sizes of rail. All requests for such a template will be handled as a custom order and the price will vary between $500.00 and $1,000.00 depending on the amount of CAD work required.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:24 am 

When you consider how much I could potentially spend on machinery to build my own jig, I think it will be a lot easier to get a custom fixture made. Just remember, I'm in Australia where we pay a lot more more for the same lathe etc. than you would.

So do I just send Tim an email asking for a quote and specifying what gauges and rail profile I want?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:51 pm 

The price for custom assembly fixtures is the same regardless where you are located. Simply send an e-mail to service@fast-tracks.net describing what you require and we will respond as quickly as possible with a quotation. Since you are still waiting for a favorable exchange rate and have yet to place an order with Fast Tracks, please send your request for a quotation only if you are serious about ordering a custom jig or assembly fixture due to the time it takes to evaluate and estimate such a request request.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]