Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:03 pm 

Hello:

I've ordered a Walthers track scale kit. I don't have it yet but I understand it requires a "gantlet" turnout to be built to accommodate the scale and bypass tracks.

I guess I'll see what the instructions recommend but I bet the kit uses a dummy bypass track. I'd rather have an operating gantlet turnout for operation purposes...and as a challenge.

I haven't found any in-depth articles online on building gantlet turnouts, any pointers would be appreciated.

But really what I was wondering was can I use the PointForm #5 tool to form the points? I'll have this on hand as I'll be ordering the #5 turnout assembly kit.

I believe for a scale it's a fairly simple arrangement, a gantlet track that's only offset from the main track by a small space and doesn't cross over itself (i.e. not requiring a frog). I think you'd only need a set of movable points on each end.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:23 pm 

A number 5 set of points will work well for a gantlet 'diverging'. Don't skimp on the point length (or the transition length if you do a hinged point) - allow it to flow without a severe kink for good operations. You can (and for reliability should) allow the divergence to be split and make the gantlet like a wye - rather than a straight with angled divergence.

For model purposes, you will want the offset to be about 1.5 times the normal maximum flangeway. However, since you are using an off-the-shelf scale, adapt its designed offset into your construction.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:26 pm 

Thank you Ed!

I have lots of space of the points, I'll allow at least as much as the FastTracks #5 assembly fixture requires if not more. My preference would be for solid rather than hinged points.

Thanks for the tip about making it like a wye rather than just diverging. It'll make construction a little more difficult but hopefully not too bad. I'll tackle it after I make most of my FastTracks turnouts.

Thanks again!

Mark

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]