Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:02 pm 

Hello:

I'll be using BullFrogs on several turnouts that are offset to the fascia, i.e. the control rod would have to go diagonally if it were to go straight to the turnout.

It's obvious that the knob must be located perpendicular to the fascia so the control rod must curve fairly sharply (although not too sharply, there's at least 35" to the turnout).

In this situation, can the control bend to suit or should the control rod curve very gently and a TadPole be used to correct the remaining offset? The photos show the TadPole routing the control rod around the corner, which is what I'd have to do if I couldn't curve the control rod that much.

Attached is a snippet of my track plan to illustrate what I mean.

Thank you,

Mark

Attachments:
TadPole question.jpg
TadPole question.jpg [ 60.16 KiB | Viewed 5845 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:38 pm 

Hello Mark,

You are correct that the control rod is designed to be mounted perpendicular to the fascia. The Tadpole is required when you don't have enough clearance to install a complete BullFrog in a tight spot. The control rod will work with curves as small as a 6" radius but you may want to consider using one or more Control Rod Joiner/Hanger Kits if the control rod will be more than 36" long or will require multiple bends to reach the BullFrog.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:50 pm 

Great, thanks Terry!

It certainly won't be a 6" bend radius so it looks like I won't need the TadPole.

I was following the directions on the Control Rod Joiner/Hanger Kits page which indicate one is required every 18", but I'll also put one where bends will be.

Thanks again.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]