Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:32 pm 

I have completed several turnouts using this system. I have noticed since
finishing the turnouts with the tiestrips that the points are a little tight
moving back and forth. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there anything that
should be done?

JRL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:21 am 

Greetings,

Do you mean the Twist Ties? http://www.handlaidtrack.com/Fast-Track ... es-s/4.htm

I have made several of the turnouts using the twist ties. I have not found the points to be tight as they move.

My layout is plywood with homosote as the base and then cork roadbed and then the twist ties. If everything is flat then there should be no problem. On you next turnout try sanding the cork to remove any high spots and then after the ties are glued down lightly sant the top of the ties before laying the rail.

I hope this helps.

Christopher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:11 pm 

I've had them turn out tight on occasion, usually just moving them back and forth a few times helps.
But the biggest issue is for me sometimes the points are soldered "too low" to the throw-bar, which brings the throwbar up and either rubbing against the main rails, or causing the point rails to rub against the ties under them.
To solve this after the switch is installed I re-heated and gently resoldered the points letting them "float up" just a tiny amount (sometimes adding just a tiny bit more solder to flow under). So far this has fixed the problem ... although it means I have to file the tops of the points somtimes if they stick up a tiny amount over the adjacent rails.

Also I've found they get tight after painting or glueing. Paint gets under the point rails or on the throwbar ...
moving back and forth and sanding or filing both sides of the point rail usually helps (but leaves a shinny spot ... oh well).
I even tried WD40 and that helped too (but I suspect its a 'bad idea').

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:56 am 

The WD 40 has the potential to collect dust and other debris. Obviously this could cause it to tighten up, but also to potentially cause electrical shorts.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]