Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:05 pm 

Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong but according to FAQs, both code 70 and code 83 rail can be used to build turnouts in corresponding turnout assembly fixtures. This is true only if one uses Micro Engineering rail supposedly because the base of the ME rail is consistently the same width if purchased from Fast Tracks. Additionally, I've also read in other forums that one can use the code 83 fixture to build turnouts using both size rail because the width of ME code 70 rail base (.072") is about the same as code 83 and so both rail sizes fit both fixtures. I assume you offer code 70 and code 83 fixtures if one wishes to use non-ME rail. In that case, one has to use the specific fixture for the code desired. Is that clear as mud?

I'm interested in building #6 and #8 turnouts using code 70 and code 83 ME rail. Which fixture should I buy - the code 70 fixture or the code 83 fixture? Does this apply equally if I wanted to buy the double cross-over fixtures to build code 70 and code 83 turnouts?

Thanks,

George

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:57 am 

Its all clear as mud. YES with ME rail, code 70 and code 83 is 'almost exactly the same base'. In fact the ME code 83 rail base is just a bit smaller than the code 70. I recommend ordering the code 70 fixture(s) -gives just a 'hair bit' more clearance room.

If you use ANY OTHER rail - you HAVE to order fixtures explicitly for the different rail. Most other manufacturers rail will NOT work in fixtures for the ME rails (regardless of the code height). There simply is no uniformity with rail code profiles. The ME rail is purposely interchangeable and not just from FastTracks - any source of the ME rail has the same characteristics.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:14 am 

Thanks Ed.
I'm using code 88 wheels and I'm trying to make turnouts with tight tolerances. Does the fact that I'm using Code 88 wheels make any difference as to which fixture I use?

George

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:44 am 

George,

No not really the code 88 wheels really should have a smaller flangeway at the frog - but keep the track check gauge the same (correct). If you haven't ordered the fixtures yet - do the custom feature. Specify code for ME 70 rail, but custom the flangeway at 0.042" and the track gauge at 0.652". FastTracks will then setup a fixture that's ideal for the code 88 - but will still be perfectly fine for the 'standard code 110 wheels'. You will have to remove some (very slight) of the wing rail base during construction to get the flangeway to tighten down. The fixture will not have the stub lip stop in the frog area flangeway that offsets the rail bases for the 0.050" flangeway. As you construct, use the NMRA gauge to set the track check gauge correctly. The NMRA gauge flange nubs at the top are 'perfect' width for a tightened flangeway space at the frog.

-ed-

I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:11 pm 

Fantastic!

At the risk of making myself a nuisance but just making certain I understood completely what you've written, I have two more questions, Ed.

I'll be making #6 and #8 turnouts. I will order the #6 as you say.

Q1. Since the double cross-over fixture also makes regular turnouts, I'm thinking of buying one of these instead of a regular fixture. Does the custom feature request for code 88 wheels also work if I order the code 70 ME rail #8 double cross-over fixture?

Q2. Since I already have a # 6 and #8 Point Form tools, do I need an additional Point Form tool for the cross-over?

George

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:27 pm 

Custom feature (tighter frog flangeway and tighter gauge) works fine for crossovers, double crossovers, double slips, standard turnouts, and any trackwork. The tighter gauge is still wider than the minimum, allows 16 -18 thousandths side play lateral motion for wheelsets. The narrower flangeway gives tire width sufficient for flangeway gap crossing - but still retaining flange mid-coordinate offset allowance. Remember- when assembling flangeways at frogs - you'll have to file the bases just a bit to fit the tighter flangeway - use the NMRA gauge to keep from getting too narrow.

What you do have to also do is make sure the wheel sets are correctly set - there is not the usual extra sloppy allowances. Equipment will always operate better when the gauging is correct.

As for the point form tools - check directly with FastTracks - I hand file my rails for all oblique angle fitting.

-ed-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:13 pm 

Thanks so much, Ed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:36 am 

George - all,

Glad to help - I'm fastidious with my trackwork and want something that works better operationally and looks better prototypically. It takes extra effort and skills (easily acquired) and makes 'modeling' and operative word for the track right of way. I don't believe handlaid trackwork to higher specifications is for everyone and I don't insist my methods are always the best or most correct - they simply produce results for me. While I've done handlaid track for over 50 years - the last decade has been mostly with the demanding requirements of Proto:87 - a joy, but certainly a niche. Techniques are the same and can be applied to which ever state of fidelity and standards you choose to implement.

Note: Tim and Ron at FastTracks don't always monitor subjects on the forum. They have a business to run and schedules to meet. If you need their direct answer or reply concerning a product or design need - you need to direct the communication to them directly. Having a 'custom' fixture made can be done - but you HAVE TO CONTACT THEM DIRECTLY - they have constraints on when they can address a custom job and to what degree thy can make alterations to their CAD portfolio. The forum is a public place to share and give comments by all in the modeling community.

-ed-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:15 pm 

Check your e-mail, Ed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:15 pm 

I have George - sent reply just a short bit (WED night 8-18 about 9pm) ago.

Sent reply to: g.corral@insightbb.com (which was what was the 'reply-to' ID in the message I got).

I'm repeating information through the FT PM message board.

-ed-

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]