[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - A few Fast Tracks questions for a new guy

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:06 pm 

Hello:
I am doing a small D&RGW narrow gauge layout in NN3, and was going to use these Fast Tracks tools to hand lay code 40 rail.
-There are three options for tie spacing. What are these different tie spacings? I need ~22" spacing.
-Are there any issues with making a section of track on the curved track jig, and then putting it on a grade? I would think there would be, as its rigid out of the jig and wouldn't conform to the grade?
-What is the turn around time on a custom radius curved track jig?
-What angles do the curved track jigs go through? I am thinking that if I plan how many degrees at the first radius I need, I can remove it, put the last tie in the first slot on the second radius, and get the two radius I need in one assembly by going by the angles. Am I crazy?
Thanks
Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:39 pm 

railnutrob,

I can't by any means answer all of your questions. However, the 3 tie spacings available are Mainline, Branchline and Siding. I believe 22" spacing would conform to the Branchline tie spacing. Most of the products on the Fast Tracks website have specifications pages where you can find things like the "tie spacing distances". The length of the "grade" track should be slightly longer than the length of track following the same radius on the horizontal. Would be the same condition if the track were on a straight grade as well. Draw out the geometry and do some triangle calculations and you will see what I mean. Same for the radius grade only slightly more complicated calculations. The grade track would form the hypotenuse of a right triangle which is longer than either the base or the height of the triangle. The radius would be the same whether the track is following along the base or the hypotenuse. The fixture should work as long as the roadbed on the grade is following the correct radius. Although I haven't done this with rigid track myself, I think it would conform to the grade elevation since you are not also trying to flex it out of its formed radius.

Somebody from Fast Tracks is going to have to weigh in on your other questions.

Good luck with your project and keep asking questions.

Inprinter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:42 am 
Site Admin

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]