Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:14 pm 

I'm using Micro Engineering HO Scale code 83 rail. I first felt and then looked at the top edge
of the rail head - where the rail meets the wheel. Real rail is rounded. ME is for all intents
and purposes square with no obvious relief.
Is this good, bad, or indifferent? Would trains run any smoother if it was rounded a bit?
Would they tend to derail more if it was rounded? Does this wear down over time? Does
the rail wear before the wheels of the locos and cars? Aren't most cars and locos just
plated while rail is 'solid' nickle silver?

If it would be better to put a slight relief on the rail head does any one have any suggestions
on how to do that easily and accurately? I was thinking about trying to use 600 grit wet/dry.
Bad idea? Only bad if I allow it to get on the head of the rail and not just the corner?

Thanks for the great system. I built the first one last Thursday and finished it off (paint
and all) on Sunday. Sunday evening I built a 2nd complete turnout (sans paint) in about
an hour and a half.

- Sorry for the rash of new topics ... thanks for your time ... Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:54 pm 

OldRocky,

I checked out my Code 40 and Code 55 ME rail and definitely the the top surface of the rail is fairly flat. The top corners of the rail head do have slight radius to them. I'm not sure how to answer your other questions only to say that over the years I have used several types of track(mostly Atlas Code 80) and I don't think any of my derailment issues were due to the rail head shape. Mostly, they had to do with things being out of guage for various reasons. That's one thing I like about hand making track and turnouts, you can insure that the track and turnouts stay in gauge as you construct them. My N Gauge NMRA Standards Gauge has become the most used tool in my tool kit. If your concerns about the railhead shape keep bugging you, then modify a section of rail and install it on your layout and see if it makes a difference. Modifying all of your rail could become a very tedious and perhaps needless task. Some R&D testing will either confirm or dispell this issue for you.

Inprinter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:44 am 

Railhead profile is not critical with model physics and performance. The ME rail does have a very slightly 'crowned' top profile and that's good - but given years of cleaning (especially using common abrasive methods) - it becomes level with sharper edges on the sides.

Proto:scale modelers have more need and desire for keeping the rail head crowned - but still most are using he ME rail (and most other modeling rails are not any better in profile). Provided you have your wheel sets properly set with wheel check gauge and your track is laid with care and properly gauged, you'll not induce any problems for operations.

On wheels - many will insist on solid (not plated) wheels. Wear can be an issue - but only extreme operations like a daily operated museum layout. The wear will depend entirely on the material involved. Dissimilar metals allow the softer metal to wear first. The physics of models are not related to the prototype in any orthogonal way.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]