Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:48 pm 

Are track segments built with curved fixtures totally rigid or (within limits obviously) somewhat flexible? Are there any tricks you would recommend to assure a section remains in gauge when (and if) you do flex it?

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:24 pm 

Mike, I think we're thinking along the same lines - except the question I asked is: Does anyone use flex track with Fast Track turnouts? Which works/looks best?
I want to to start a small switching layout immediately otherwise I'd wait until I can also work out how to use "Templot" on an IMac 8)

Best, Pete.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:38 am 

I'm not actually thinking about flex track as in ME flex track; I'm thinking about sections of curved track made with a Fast Tracks curved track template. As an example, if I were to make a section of 20" radius track using a 20" radius fixture is that section strictly limited to that 20" radius or is it flexible enough to perhaps cover (and this is just an example) any radius from 19" to 21" if one handles the section properly. Or will flexing it beyond some point (and where would that point be) cause it to go far enough out of gauge to be unreliable.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

Sections of curved track built with the curved track fixtures are fixed and are not flexible.

There is, however, a technique to produce flexible lengths of track using either the straight or curved fixtures. When building a length of track, solder only one length of rail to the PC board ties. When this is removed from the fixture, it is flexible. Mount in place on the layout either on our laser cut QuickSticks or on individual wood ties, then use track gauges to solder in place the opposite piece of rail.

This works well for forming easements on a length of track. Build the length of track as long as required, soldering both rails in place. At the end of the length of track, for 18" or so, only solder one rail to the PC board ties, this will allow the end of that length of track to flex and be formed into an easement or into any radius needed to join to another length of trackwork.

Hope with is helpful!

PS, turnouts build with Fast Tracks tools are designed to match up precisely and look great with commercial flextrack.

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]