Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Patina
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:50 pm 

I have been using FastTracks jigs with non-weathered rail and copper clad PC ties. It occured to me that the stained glass makers use a copper fioil technique that is then soldered and patina applied to look like lead cane. I went to a local stained glass supply store and purchased 8 fl.oz. of Novacan Black Patina for Solder and Lead for 4.00USD. This product is made in Vancouver, B.C. but likely equivalent products are availble from other manufacturers.

After completing a turnout, I burnished the copper ties with a fiberglass eraser and then tinned them with solder. I again burnished the solder and applied the patina. In a matter of seconds the solder surfaces turned a dark grey. . . . almost black. This particular patina had limited effect on bare copper, however. I also applied some of the patina on burnished Nickel Silver rail and it resulted in a "weathered rail" almost identical to the Model Engineering product--I was a bit surprised at how well this product weathered the rail. Of course, a good rinse in clear water completes the process.

I plan to use the patina in the future using washes of browns and greys for variation in tie color. The "tooth" provided by the patina process really holds the paint. And for those who are using ME weathered rail, this may be a method of using the NS rail as recommended by Tim and Ron for good solder joints but finishing it to match your weathered rail.

For what it's worth.

Bill

Post subject: Re: Patina
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:35 am 

Greetings,

Could you please post a few pictures of the results?

Christopher

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]