Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bullfrogs and Crossovers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:59 pm 

G'evening folks,

How's a fellow to go about handling a crossover using Bullfrogs? One machine, two machines, mounting, etc?

Respectfully,

John

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:22 pm 

I know this is a old thread but this application will be my first experience with the Bullfrog. The main concern I have is the length of the double Z bend connector. The control rod needs to make a 180 degree turn in less than twelve inches of depth(from center of module to side) and not cause so much binding to cause the user to use extra force. This crossover is for two #10 turnouts on a freemoN module.

Can the double Z bend connector be shortened allowing for a less stressful/sharp curve?
Can one build a control rod mount on both sides or is the tadpole required on one side?
Otherwise I am afraid I may need to incorporate a pivoting control rod with the knob connected in the center via a lever and a lever on each end of the rod connected to the Bulfrogs.
I am probably worried about nothing and over thinking this, but I have always used Tortoise.
Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

The easiest way mechanically to operate a crossover is to use two separate BullFrogs. I believe it would be possible to do this with one machine, but have not tried it, and for what the machines cost, it might not be worth the effort. However, operationally, it is nice to only have one control to operate a crossover.

Typically, on FreeMo modules, the turnouts are parallel with the edge of the layout and can usually be easily hooked up with a short length of control rod using the double ended Z bend.

On the module you are working on, is the crossover perpendicular to the edge of the module?

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:20 pm 

On the module in mind, the crossover(s) would essentially be parallel to the long edge (i.e. side, not ends). No addition contortions will needed to alter the direction of force of any controls.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]