Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:00 pm 

I've only built 2 turnouts so far, and the first I was just experimenting with the tools so it will never get completed (pretty impossible unless I unsolder everything back to individual parts), the second one I followed carefully step by step and while none too pretty, it DOES work.
My biggest problem is with filing the angles for the frogs and points in the Pointform tool. I tend to get it down where the web is completely filed through at the sharp end, rendering the rail unusable. Obviously I am filing too far - but I've been working under the impression that the rail should end up smooth and even with the face of the tool. So where am I going wrong? How far should I be filing? Do I not have the rail seated properly in the tool? I press down on the exposed edge when snugging up the screws, as shown in the videos. I don't think I've overtightening the clamp screws, just snugging them up to hold the rail so it won't pull out. I have a brand new file of the proper type, and keep it clean. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

--Randy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:51 pm 

Hi Randy,

I don't think you are doing anything wrong because it is quite common that rail web becomes quite thin when filing, especially the switch points. When this happens just use your thumb nail to peel the web back where there's sufficient metal left between the web and the rail base and rail head. Then, using a pair of Xuron rail nippers with back facing away from the point end, cut the point off. The point will not be razor sharp but it will be structurally sound enough to permit soldering to the throw bar. After the turnout has been assembled you can "feather" the end of the switch points into the stock rail using a small file.

The same can be done for the frog point rails but I prefer solder them together first to make sure I have a nice sharp frog and then snip off any excess rail base before soldering it to the PC board ties.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]