[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - How do you gentlmen solder?

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:21 pm 

Post subject: soldering track
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:00 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:50 am 
Site Admin

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

Post subject: Solder used is key, too
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:59 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:23 am 
[quote="Robpar"]I used to use the thinnest rosin-core solder I could find at Radio Shack, but the free sample of the super-thin acid-core solder I received with my Fast Tracks jig (#6 turnout, HO, code 70 ME) was a real eye-opener. The amount of solder needed to make a good joint is much, much less, and I have been able to eliminate those unprototypical-looking blobs on the outsides of my ties. I recommend you try the solder sold here if you haven't already.

I have to agree. I found some .015" rosin core at a computer supply house (expensive! almost $40 per one-pound spool) but the tiny diameter means it takes a lot less heat to melt the solder, thus it's much more viscous, so it flows much better. It's the difference between nice flat shiny soldering joints, and weak ugly pointy gobs of metal (and discolored or burnt rail/ties because of all the heat required.)

Get the thinnest solder you can find. .025" might be good, but if .015" is around, it's really worth the price!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:29 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:47 pm 
Can someone who is using a resistance soldering outfit briefly explain which attachments and techniques you use? I have an American Beauty unit that I'd like to use if possible.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:55 pm 
Use the small hand tweezer piece, with the stainless steel tips. Lasts longer, and more controllable.

rob

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]