[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - The Advantages of Using a Bench Top Sander - Newsletter #4

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

The Advantages of Using a Bench Top Sander

By Tim Warris (This newsletter was originally published on June 2, 2003)

This issue of the Fast Tracks newsletter is short and sweet. I have been very busy this past month mass-producing switch machines for my layout and getting ready for the upcoming train tours that are part of the NMRA National Convention being held in Toronto in July. (My layout is one of the stops on the tour.)

The Advantages of Using a Bench Top Sander

Next to an x-acto knife, a bench top sander is one of the most useful tools a modeller can own. Even if you don't use it for trackwork you will wonder how you ever did without it. From quickly squaring up wood and plastic walls to sanding a bevel on plaster wall sections to grinding the bottom of a building flat, the uses are endless.

Fast, Precise, Easy

I use a bench top sander for all my trackwork. Combined with the Frog Point grinding jig it takes mere seconds to grind a frog point to the exact angle you need.

It also makes quick work of removing the base of the rail where the switch point closes. Simply mark the section of rail that you want to remove the base from and sand it off. I usually grind one end square and taper the other end.

The Right Tool...

The one thing that I still prefer to file by hand is the actual switch points. Trying to use a bench top sander to get a nice slim taper generates a lot of heat, and if you are not careful you will actually melt the rail! I find that filing a switch point is best done by hand. Going slow is an asset in this step.

Nothing Lasts Forever

Sanding belts will last a long time, but not forever. If you notice some discoloration in the rail while sanding you are generating too much heat, which is telling you that it is time to install a new belt.

- Tim

----------------------------------------
Have a question or comment about this issue of the Fast Tracks newsletter? Then post a reply! I will be happy to respond to any posts. - Tim

Attachments:
File comment: Bench Top Belt Sander
sander.jpg
sander.jpg [ 10.52 KiB | Viewed 17441 times ]

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:43 pm 

I just received my bench top sander and I am very pleased with it. I purchased a Fisch Sander with a 4" belt and a 6" disc. I purchased it from amazon.com and the price was $109.99 with free delivery. While not the cheapest machine available, what sold me on this machine is that the work table is cast iron so it is very stable and solid. If you want more information, go to fisch-woodworking.com and you can look at it there.

Take care and happy railroading.

Mark Hagy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:44 pm 

Hello Tim,

The bench sander is the only way to go! In fact I even built a fixture to ensure the proper alignment of the frog point grinding fixture. This, in turn, will ensure that all of my cuts are square! I will send pictures to show what I have done.

Donnell M. Wells

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:02 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:24 pm 

Well I will use my wood turning lathe with a sanding disc.. should be good stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:34 pm 

Any suggestions on what are to look for in a sander for modeling and trackwork?

There seems to be a lot of variety in price and feature..

Thanks!

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:30 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]