[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - The Care & Feeding Of Files - Newsletter #3

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:23 am 

Hello Gents,

I have a question, I'm having a devil of a time trying to remove solder from my needle files. any ideas? I thought of heating them, but that would take the temper out of em and render them useless.

Rob : :?: :?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:57 am 

Rob,

Chalk before using helps a lot. Using the File Card or the soft brass brush is important. DON'T heat and try to remove the solder clogs! You can also use a thin brass shim or bit of a strip and have the edge point drag the file teeth along their inside land or grove, this will help pick out solder.

One important thing is to not file big globs of solder away. Use less solder at the joints - it's amazing how little is actually required, and also develop the technique of using a braided wick to pull out the excess solder you may have deposited on the joints. Files that actually don't drag through blobs of solder don't get clogged.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:38 pm 

Hi Ed,

Yep know what you mean on the excess solder, but in my quest for max strength and to insure I have a good solder joint I wait until the solder "kind of Jumps" from the pc tie to the rail. So occassionally I have too much solder on the pc tie, which requires a bit of filing to remove and dress up the tie. I don't do it often, but when it happens well you know how that goes. As far as the solder wick, I've used it, but to tell you the truth I don't like reapplying heat to what I believe is a good solder joint. Then theres always the possibility of the joint moving and getting out of gauge.

Thats why I like to file it. simpler, less chance of errors.

Rob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:58 am 
Site Admin

The posts about pre-tinning ties have been moved to the Questions & Answers About Using Fast Tracks Tools forum.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:19 am 

Rob
Some thing that might solve a lot of your big globs of solder on you ties. First eliminate "all" space between your rail and tie, second heat BOTH the rail and the tie at the same time.

Curt

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]