[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Constructing Curved Turnouts Using TwistTies - Newsletter 10

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

An Alternative Approach Using TwistTies To Construct Curved Turnouts

By Tim Warris

In this edition of the Fast Tracks newsletter I am going to showcase an alternative approach to building curved turnouts using our new TwistTies product. When we developed TwistTies we intended them to be used in a more "traditional" approach to constructing curved and straight turnouts with spikes and all wood ties that are built in place on the layout.

However, this isn't the only way that TwistTies can be used. With a bit of additional effort, you can use TwistTies to construct curved (or straight) turnouts at the comfort of your workbench, using PC Board ties instead of spikes.

Instead of gluing the TwistTies in place on the layout and building the turnout in place, they are temporarily spiked to a scrap piece of Homosote. Some of the wood ties are cut away and replaced with PC Board ties and rail is glued to the wood ties and the rail soldered to the PC Board ties. The finished assembly is then removed from the Homosote.

There are some distinct advantages to this approach of building turnouts with TwistTies over the spiking method that some modelers my appreciate, including:

The use of PC Boards instead of spikes resulting in a solid piece of trackwork that will never go out of gauge.

Portability. You can move the finished turnout around on your layout until you have decided on its final positioning.

The ability to work in comfort at your workbench. This can be most welcome when a turnout needs to be constructed at a difficult location on your layout.

These instructions assume that you are familiar with using TwistTies to build turnouts. If not, you may want to check out the TwistTies Users' Guide.

Step 1
Cut the TwistTies from the plywood frame and using a printed tie template, mark the location of where the PC Board ties should be substituted. Use the throwbar tie to align the TwistTies to the turnout on the printed tie template.

Step 2
On a scrap piece of Homosote, draw the curved centre line of one of the radii you require. I have drawn a 26" radii here. Place spikes at the ends of the end ties to hold the turnout in place along this center line. Spikes are also placed adjacent to the ties that you highlighted in the previous step.

Step 3
With the turnout spiked into place, cut away the wood ties that are to be replaced with PC Board ties. The remaining ties are held into place with the spikes that are in the ends of the ties.

Step 4
In most scales the PC Board ties are thinner than the wood ties, this is because there are only two thicknesses of PC Board material available. This height mismatch must be compensated for by shimming up the PC Board ties to the same height as the wood ties. In HO scale (the size I am working with here), this is done with a .015" thick piece of styrene temporarily placed under the PC Board ties.

Step 5
Spike the PC Board ties into place on top of the styrene shims. The spikes are placed at the ends of the ties.

Step 6
At this point the process is similar to building a curved turnout with the TwistTies, and the fixtures. Start with the stock rails, pre-curving them using a rail bending tool. Get the rail bend to match as close to the TwistTies as possible.

Step 7
With the stock rail pre-curved, mark the location of the PC Board ties on the bottom of the rail with a marker.

Step 8
The rail is glued to the wood ties and soldered to the PC Board ties. Avoid getting adhesive where the rail is soldered to the PC Board ties, otherwise it will be very difficult to get a good solder joint. Run a bead of Pliobond along the base of the rail.

Step 9
Apply Pliobond to the wood ties. Use the guidelines etched onto the TwistTies to determine where adhesive is to be placed. Do not apply any adhesive to the PC Board ties.

Step 10
Pliobond adhesive can be instantly "cured" by applying heat to the rail with a soldering iron. 3 to 5 seconds is all it takes to activate the adhesive and glue the rail to the wood ties, forming a very strong bond. I prefer to use a scriber to hold the rail in place while the iron heats the rail. Use the guidelines on the TwistTies to ensure that the rails are accurately positioned.

Step 11
With the rail securely glued to the wood ties, solder the rail to the PC Board ties.

Step 12
Repeat this process for the opposite stock rail.

Step 13
Pre-curve, file and solder the two frog point rails. (See the TwistTies Users' Guide for more details.)

Step 14
As before, mark the location of the PC Board ties on the bottom of the rail. Apply adhesive to rail and ties, and glue them into place. Use a track gauge to accurately locate the position of the frog point. (See the TwistTies Users' Guide for more information on this critical step.) Solder the frog point rails to the PC Board ties.

Form the switchpoints and glue and solder them into position.

Step 15
Using the printable tie templates as a guide, cut a piece of pre-curved rail to length for the guard rail. Bend the "flair" onto this. Glue and solder it into position using the guidelines on the TwistTies to position it.

Step 16
The turnout is complete, and can be removed from the Homosote. I use a strong dental pick to help "pry" out the spikes. They will remove easily from the Homosote.

Step 17
Viola! The curved turnout is complete and will permanently hold its shape. Finish the turnout by cutting the isolation gaps in the rail and PC Board ties and paint.

Step 18

- Tim Warris
----------------------------------------

Have a question or comment about this issue of the Fast Tracks newsletter? Then post a reply! I will be happy to respond to any posts. - Tim

FAST TRACKS NEWS

New How-To Videos Released

We have recently released a complete series of free, downloadable videos that demonstrate how to use Fast Tracks products to construct turnouts. These videos are a valuable resource for both current and new customers. You will find a complete list of videos here.

Last edited by Ron Warris on Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:32 am 
To Tim or Ron,

I'd love to see the photos, but unfortunately the photos overlap, and overlap the instructions printed. I don't know why this happens, anyway instead of spiking one could use temp double sided tape to tape the ties down, and you might have to shim the copper ties to solder them as wood ties are thicker than the pc ties.

rob

Post subject: over lap disregard
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:44 am 
tried a different search engine.

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:57 am 
Site Admin

Hello Rob,

What browser are you using? This post is just an ordinary web page, so not sure why you would be having a problem. Maybe try clearing your browsers cache?

Post subject: browser
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:00 am 
I have netscape 4.6 and version 6. when I use the version 6.0 the problem goes away.

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:33 pm 
Site Admin

Rob,

Yes, that would explain it. Netscape 4.x is pretty much obsolete these days and will not work very well for a lot of web pages. Plus it has some old security problems that newer browsers have addressed.

I would highly recommend upgrading to the latest version of Firefox. Firefox can trace its roots all the way back to Netscape 4.x and offers better performance and security features and will display virtually any web page without problems.

You can download the latest version of Firefox from here.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]