Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:34 pm 

What I have done, is use through the hole via's, to bring power from underneath the track, to the top of the tie. Through the hole via's, are used to move power from one side of a double PCB board, to the other. What I do, is drill a 1.1mm hole through the PCB tie. I then place a via, that is 1mm outside diameter, with a .8mm inside diameter from the top down, run a 22AWG stranded wire from the bottom up, through the via, then drop a small bit of solder on top of the tie. I also power the frog this way. Then drill holes through the road bed, and wire to the main power. One last thing, be sure and cut a slot in the copper foil on the bottom of the tie. Didn't think to do this on the first one. :oops:

Attachments:
File comment: Through the hole Via's
IMG_2357.jpg
IMG_2357.jpg [ 96.39 KiB | Viewed 11462 times ]
File comment: A picture taken from the top, showing the via, and and wire soldered in place
IMG_2358.JPG
IMG_2358.JPG [ 105.52 KiB | Viewed 11462 times ]
File comment: Picture taken from the bottom, showing how the wires are attached.
IMG_2359.jpg
IMG_2359.jpg [ 112.55 KiB | Viewed 11462 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:41 pm 

What is the current rating on the PCB hopefully more than the 22 ga wire? Where did you get the via's?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:05 pm 

I got the via's from eBay. Not sure what the current capacity of the PCB board would be, but I would guess, it would be 2-3 amps.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]