[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Forum Software Upgraded

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Forum Software Upgraded
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:26 am 
Site Admin

As you probably have noticed, we have upgraded our forum software. The new software promises to resolve a number of security issues and *perhaps* will address our ongoing robotic horde invasion. (Something folks here should not see or even be aware of, but a major issue for us to manage!)

The layout has also changed somewhat and we will be making further tweaks and changes over the next few days as well.

Everything should pretty much work as before, but let me know if you run into any problems.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:04 pm 

Looks good so far, it will take a little adjusting to.

Hope it all works well for you.

Kurt

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:43 am 

The thing that annoys me the most is after you make a post, the software asks you if you wish to return to the topic or go elsewhere. I personally would prefer to return to the topic made the default setting, but since I'm not the only member here, it would probably be wise to hear from other members first.

Also I was recieving email notifications to several topics I had not previously subscribed to. I have since altered the setting in my control panel, but other than that it seems fine.

[EDIT] I just noticed that under the text input area there is an option to subscribe to the topic, which is checked by default. I must remember to uncheck it before entering the replies.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:05 am 
Site Admin

I had a look around in the board setup, but I don't see anywhere where I can change the confirmation after message posting, so I suspect it is doing that for some sort of security reasons.

By the way, the current look of the forum is just one of the default 'templates'. I am not sure I really like it that much and might look around for something a bit better. Personally I would like to have something with a larger and darker font and with a full width screen layout. (Web software developers and designers seem to be in love with teeny tiny text for some reason these days.)

So far the new upgrade has stopped the robots dead in their tracks. Not a single spam registration so far. Wonder how long before they figure out how to crack this software....

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:52 am 

Ron,

Two issues with the graphics for me. I'm color blind and there's just not enough contrast in the topic threads. Also the icons are difficult at a glance to see which topics I've visited vs. the new postings. Where is the 'legend' definitions of the new graphics icons - I couldn't find it?

I agree that full page formating (per cent of screen avialable) would be a big improvement - especially in threads where the pictures are posted.

Glad the security system has improved, but the 'default' templates are not attractive or useful for one whose color blind.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:13 pm 

Ron,

Wow! Suddenly got full screen - larger text, the older icons showing when changes have occurred, and better definition contrast. All within about 5 minutes of my above 'request notice'. The icon legend is now appearing at the bottom as well. You've got a good handle on the new system configuration - congratulations. Hope it didn't open up any security holes.

GOOD JOB!!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:22 pm 

[quote="Ron Warris"]
#1 I had a look around in the board setup, but I don't see anywhere where I can change the confirmation after message posting, so I suspect it is doing that for some sort of security reasons.

#2 By the way, the current look of the forum is just one of the default 'templates'. I am not sure I really like it that much and might look around for something a bit better. Personally I would like to have something with a larger and darker font and with a full width screen layout. (Web software developers and designers seem to be in love with teeny tiny text for some reason these days.)

#3 So far the new upgrade has stopped the robots dead in their tracks. Not a single spam registration so far. Wonder how long before they figure out how to crack this software....[/quote]

#1 I don't have much experience with modding phpBB, but I kow that with Ikonboards if you can't find something in the Admin control panel, then you generally need to download a file from the server to your PC via FTP access and modify the file/folder that way. You also may need to use a file editing program, I used to use Jen's File Editor. If you are unsure, just post a question at the phpBB support forums. Hopefully you will be able to get helpfull advice from there.

#2 AFAIK, there should be a few alternative templates available for phpBB 3.0. Once again if you're unsure ask a question at the support forums on where to edit things to alter colours, fonts, screen width etc. Although it appears you have already found out how to do some changes.

#3 The spam bots are still having a field day with plenty of other outdated and unsuppoerted forum software, but I'm sure there are those who are working on a way to work around it.

[EDIT] Despite the fact I used the "quote" button in Ron's post, it doesn't seemed to have worked as I had hoped. Probably because I have noticed that BBCode is turned off.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:40 pm 

"I had a look around in the board setup, but I don't see anywhere where I can change the confirmation after message posting, so I suspect it is doing that for some sort of security reasons."

After a bit of looking, I found it.

User control Panel>>
Board Preferences>>
Edit Posting Details>>
Notify me upon replies by default ( Option #4 ) Check Yes or No.

It might take a while, but I'm sure we will all work the differences out.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:21 am 

[quote="Ron Warris"]Hello Ed,
I made the fonts even larger and darker. Are the posts easier to read now? I can tweak it a bit more if you like.
Ron Warris
[/quote]

Ron,

Fonts and color separations are fine now. Message thread icons now clearly show new vs. changes in threads as expected.

I've noticed - though I have a signature in my profile and signature posting is turned on - there's not been a posting with the signature. I see also most other new posts are lacking signatures and those folks were previously posting with the signature file. I also see BB code is off - I'll have to recheck my profile to see if that's an individual selection since you stated you turned it on globally.

-ed-

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:25 pm 

Test with signature, hope it works, if it does, I went to profile and just updated the signature page and submitted again. We will see if it works now.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

I have cre-checked all of the settings for both the board and for your accounts Ed and Kurt, and the signature option is turned on and appears to be correctly setup. My signature line seems to be working fine, so I am not sure what may be happening here. My next step is to check on the phpBB forums to see if this has been reported by anyone else. Will let you know.

Also, bbcode is turned on globaly, so you should be able to see that option.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:00 pm 

Looks like 'signature' is now turned on - just posted in another thread.
(Only won't work here in the 'announcements' thread - must be a 'special' case).

-ed-

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:31 am 

BBCode is turned on in HO forum, but is turned off in Announcements. At least for members, as the quote in Ron's post worked fine with the quote box in this thread. It well may be globally turned on, but with some forum software individual settings for specific forums can over-ride global settings.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next