[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Freight Crate Questions

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Freight Crate Questions
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:38 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:12 am 

I may have posted this in an inappropriate forum (I just happened to be looking in new announcements when I thought of the question).

Please move to a correct forum if need be.

Post subject: Freight Crate Question
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:31 pm 

Greetings,

Are custom sizes going to be available? I would like to get some of these to store my locomotives in, I have several cab forwards and such and they will not fit in the sizes that are available. These would be the perfect answer to storing locomotives the way they lock closed. Also custom ones would be nice for things like my SP articulated Daylight Cars, both the Coffee Shop / Kitchen / Diners and the articulated Coaches. Maybe with trays that fit inside so you can pick up the car with out stressing the articulation joint.

Andre Anderson
Portland Oregon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:51 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

FreightCrates of the same number of pockets are stackable as you assumed, as long as they are the same scale.

We are planning on expanding the lines to include versions for locomotives as well. The current thinking is to offer customized sizes, or at least sizes in 1 or 2 inch increments, you would order the length that will fit the locomotive you wish to store. These would come with a base for the locomotives to sit on so lifting engines with attached tenders would be safer.

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:49 pm 

Tim, the new crates look great, I have my first order in the mail, and can't wait to build them.

One thing I notices was it said you had to order min of 2 of any size crate when placing order.

I can see ordering min of 2 total of any size, but I may not need two of one size.

Keep up the good work, as I enjoy your products and they are worth the cost.

SP was king of the road, Cotten Belt will run forever! D&RGW will rule the hills!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Kurt,

Yes, we had to set minimum order quantities on these as once we started fulfilling orders we quickly realized they cost more to ship then we had anticipated, probably due to their weight (they weigh 3 pounds each!)

We tried quite a few options, and decided the best way to handle the issue was to set MOQ's for them. We actually underwrite the cost of shipping of most items by quite a bit, usually our customers are seeing a heavily discounted shipping charge when they check out through the site. We pay the rest. The new FreightCrates were wreaking havoc on the calculations for shipping. We found that it doesn't cost much more to ship 2 crates then it does to ship one. At one, we are actually shipping them at a loss, adding a second one to an order makes the shipping work out to where it's worth our while to offer them.

Due to a limitation of the website software we use, there is no way of having it consider two of the same "type" of product as enough to meet the minimum order quantity, it requires that the part numbers are exactly the same. That does create an issue for customers such as yourself who want two or more FreightCrates, but of different sizes. To us, it doesn't matter, as long as at least two of any size are ordered, we can afford to produce and ship them. We are still searching for a workaround to this issue.

So far, the best we can come up with is to have the customer place the order and we can edit the order afterward. There is no way to get the site to override the MOQ on the front end, we have to do it after an order is placed.

Long story short, if someone would like different sizes, they must order at least 2 of each size. We can edit the order after the fact and adjust it down to match what is really wanted and only bill the order for what is shipped.

Hopefully we can find a more elegant solution to the issue in the near future.

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:22 am 

Thanks for the info.

I just build my first crate and they are great.

Now to test fit my bigger stock and see if I need more standard or deep for my big cyro reefer cars and auto racks.

I will be waiting for the "Engine Crate" line to come out for my few steamers and big long modern diesels, as I have several SD90MAC and SD70ACe units that need a good home for the road.

If everyone likes them as I do, you guys may be very busy after the NTS when you get a good public display.

I will have my with me up there for the Free-Mo setup in the train show. Hope I get a chance to come see you in your booth. Will it be for the convention only or will you have the booth during the weekend show as well.

SP was king of the road, Cotten Belt will run forever! D&RGW will rule the hills!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:50 am 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:30 pm 

Any idea of when the new Engine Crates will be designed and available. :?:

I need some to protect my engines during road trip travels with my Free-mo modules at multiple show a year. 8)

If they are as good as the freight versions they should be a great selling item.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:04 am 

Have you considered using 3mm (1/8") Baltic Birch or similar plywood? The material would be more expensive but quite a bit lighter.
Cheers,
Stumper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

The boxes that were the precursor to FreightCrates were made from Baltic Birch, they look great and are much lighter. The cost, however would be significantly higher, likely double then what they are now. That material doesn't come cheap, even though we purchase large quantities directly from a mill in Finland.

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:21 am 

Any word on when the Engine Crates will be available? Especially for modern big long diesel engines like SD70M and SD90/43MACs.

Kurt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:34 pm 

My question is what has been done or can be done to the freight crates to protect them from possible termite attacks? Or does the wood used have a natural repellent capability?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:18 am 

that would be more of an owners responsibility than the manufactures. :?

It would be like asking those who make cardboard train storage boxes what they have done to keep humidity out of the storage area for boxes.

If you expected Fast Tracks to treat all wood products for pest problems you would raise lots of issues about chemicals and what's allowed in different nations and states by rules that don't need to go into the product or costs.

Just my two cents, for what it is worth.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]